A family was recently awarded a verdict of $31.6 million in a medical malpractice lawsuit against MyMichigan Health. The lawsuit alleged that negligent care during childbirth resulted in severe brain damage for their daughter.
While this case was not won by our firm, it highlights the tragic repercussions of medical negligence during childbirth and the crucial role experienced legal representation plays in securing justice and accountability for its victims.
What Are Common Injuries Resulting from Medical Negligence During Birth?
Medical negligence during birth can lead to serious injuries – and the consequences can last a lifetime. In this case, the alleged mismanagement of the labor-inducing drug Pitocin and the delayed decision to perform a C-section resulted in the infant’s severe brain damage, cerebral palsy, spastic quadriplegia, and seizure disorder.
Other injuries that can occur due to medical negligence during childbirth include:
- Erb’s palsy – This ailment occurs when the group of nerves that supply the arms and hands suffer damage, resulting in weakness and loss of motion.
- Bone fractures – The newborn is at risk of bone fractures during labor and delivery, most commonly of the collarbone or clavicle.
- Perinatal asphyxia – This condition arises when the baby does not get enough oxygen before, during, or just after birth. It can lead to many problems, such as organ dysfunction, brain damage, and developmental issues.
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) – Often resulting from perinatal asphyxia, insufficient oxygen to the baby’s brain can lead to long-term complications, such as cerebral palsy, epilepsy, cognitive issues, and motor skill development delays.
What Should You Do If You Have Been Harmed by a Medical Professional’s Negligence?
If you or your child have suffered due to a medical professional’s negligence, get help from an experienced attorney like the ones at The Law Offices of Dr. Michael M. Wilson, M.D., J.D. & Associates. They can evaluate your case’s medical and legal aspects, helping you understand your rights and the potential for compensation. You can help them better represent you by:
- Documenting all medical interactions
- Keeping copies of your medical records
- Writing down the symptoms you or your child experience
Contact a Washington, D.C. Medical Malpractice Law Firm
If your family suffered the terrible tragedy of birth-related medical malpractice, the team at The Law Offices of Dr. Michael M. Wilson, M.D., J.D. & Associates is here to help. As both a physician and a lawyer, Dr. Wilson is prepared to handle even the most complex medical malpractice cases. His background in both fields has helped him secure over $100 million in compensation for his clients.
Rather than relying solely on third-party medical experts, Dr. Wilson brings his own medical knowledge to the cases he handles. This advantage reduces the risk of miscommunication and helps him better represent his clients.
Contact The Law Offices of Dr. Michael M. Wilson, M.D., J.D. & Associates today for a free review of your medical malpractice claim, and let us fight for the compensation you deserve.
Dr. Michael M. Wilson is an attorney and a physician who earned his undergraduate degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and his legal and medical degrees from Georgetown University. He has focused in the area of medical malpractice for more than three decades and secured more than $100 million in settlements and verdicts on behalf of clients throughout the country. He is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and New York as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and the U.S. Supreme Court. He is listed in America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators.